It's 1.30am in the morning and I'm really having trouble sleeping. Worse is when I know I have to get up by 6am later but I thought heck. Maybe a bit of light browsing wouldn't hurt. Until I saw this via email:
Your blog and your words are really nice and straightforward but don't you think you should get a better camera? Its quite a pity to see a good blog get drowned by lousy pictures.'
Not going to reveal the name or email but dude.... You think cameras only cost 5 bucks only don't you? Let me just reply your question with 5 straightforward answers:
1. I don't know what's up with the snobbishness of very heavily photoshopped pictures taken by bloodily expensive cameras. It happened quite recently and I'm telling you, I don't like it.
2. Reason #1 may sound like I'm just some pathetic poor hippie who can't afford a proper camera. Truth is, I really don't fancy those gadgets and given the chance, I would have gotten the camera. But what's the point of getting one when I got a phone with camera? To me its all the same and I don't care if those bitches with fanciful food blogs condemn me now.
3. I noticed a pattern in some of those very very nice food blogs. They started as pretty humble and simple blog, sharing nice family recipes and a total pleasure to read. Then they begin to 'show off'
their new fanciful gadgets for don't know what reasons, and just have to focus shuttle zoom lighting whatever fuck their food and the next thing you know, some advertisements start appearing on the page, and they blog like thousands are flogging down to their blog etc etc. Then next thing you know, from home food like warming stews and simple cookies become blow torched blind bake whatever fuck. Their food doesn't even look like it's home made and so damn not convincing that it's good. More like something you will pay for $100 a plate in a stuck up restaurant. I totally understand how that appeals to those image and brand focus hordes like you but Hey... I want a simple food blog. Not a freaking online Gourmet food magazine alright?
4. If I were to start taking fanciful pictures, I think my focus would end up being on how the pictures turn out and no longer on the food. That totally defeats my purpose of starting this blog. That is just not cool at all.
5. This is a really simple and down to earth blog. I'm not going to persuade you that my food are awesome, I'm not going to convince you that I am so damn a good cook that my food looks like it's worth a 100 bucks but it's just me, at my home, in my plain clothes cooking something comforting and healing in the kitchen. I just don't understand the big deal about food pictures taken as though from the magazines but at the same time I do wanna show you how my food turn out. At least you won't think I'm bullshitting here right? And I hope it will help somehow if there's some sort of pictures if you were to try out the recipes. So a simple and clear photo to show you the whole thing is it.
Kindda pity those poor souls out there blinded by what their eyes can only perceived. What the heck happened to simple home cooking?