being a chinese its not hard to believe that i am an extremist when it comes to soup. yea though i am of hokkien origin, chinese soup has been part of my life. it never fails to warm me up from a tiring day or a cold rainy night. the soups that i make are more on fresh ingredients like meat and veges while the Cantonese who are the real soup makers concentrates on the herbs totally. i love Cantonese soups but just dont want to dominate my fridge by storing all sorts of dried food items like dried squids and fishes.MY ABC SOUP
1/2 - 1 kg Spare ribs
4 -5 Potatoes
1) rinse spare ribs with hot water and drain to remove blood from the bones. you may wanna add in some salt while rinsing to remove the porky stench of the meat. ( i did not do this step becoz i love that stench haha =P)
2) place ribs in pot and fill pot with water. fill bout 3/4 of the pot. (depending on how much ribs you use, the ribs should take up bout only 1/4 of the pot)
3) turn on the flame and let boil on high heat. leave to boil for bout 5 mins
4) cut up the carrots and add into the pot first.
5) next chop up the onions into chunks and add into the pot.
6) close lid and continue to boil on high heat for bout 5-10 mins. this is to release the sweetness of the carrot and onion into the soup.
7) chunk up the potatoes and add into the pot. turn down the flame to low as you don't want a pot of mash potato soup.
8) continue to simmer till potatoes are cooked and soft. add in salt and pepper to taste.
9) for a fuller flavor, continue to simmer for the next 30 min. for those who cant wait you can just serve the soup anyway.
* you can twiq the ingredients a little by adding in mushrooms, raddish, tomatoes etc. you may also wanna use chicken instead of spare ribs.